If you have a steady hand, I promise on your favorite granny that you can do this easy DIY silhouette. I did one of each member of my family and this year, I decided to do one as a gift for my sister-in-law. Here is my simple tutorial!
paint to cover wood canvas
acrylic paint for silhouette in color of your choice
quality fine to medium-fine tipped paint brush
photograph of person you wish to paint
sealer if desired
1. Take a picture of your subject’s profile, neck up against a solid background to make outlines distinct. Take picture close enough so that there is only a slight margin around the profile. Why? This way when you choose the size you wish to print your picture, whatever size you enlarge it to be will also be the same size of the actual profile. So if you need your silhouette to be a 5 by 7, if the image takes up the whole picture, you can be sure that your silhouette will be a 5 by 7 when you print it, if you leave only a small margin around the profile.
2. Paint canvas/surface you wish to put your silhouette on if needed. I painted and distressed mine first.
3. Take printed picture of subject’s profile and cut out slowly with a good pair of scissors to get accurately all of the lines of the profile, neck, head, etc.
3. Lay cut out silhouette on to surface and trace.
4. Using the acrylic paint of your choice, take your time to paint the outline steadily. A good paint brush will make this much easier and precise.
5. Finish painting in the remaining space of the silhouette. I typically do two coats.
6. Seal portrait if desired.
7. Say “I’m a boss!” You’re done.
I didn’t like the above orientation so I flipped it for the final product.
You can use this technique in a million ways including cutting out animals and people on patterned paper, making paper silhouettes if painting them scares you. You can silhouette just about anything and cut them out of any medium that creates clean edges.
My sis-in-law loved this gift and I loved giving it. I wrote my nephew’s full name and age on the backside for keepsake. Pin, follow and enjoy!